Thursday, July 10, 2008

14 month Milestones



I love documenting Elem's milestones each month. It is so fun to look and actually think about all the things he has learned to do and his dislikes and likes. Every month I feel like there are huge changes, and it seems like each month I feel like he has learned the most-but this month I have to say, has been one where I have physically seen the changes in him right before my eyes. One day he cant say a word and then the next day he will repeat it, one day he doesn't notice something, and then the next day he is pointing it out to me, it is soo cool. I love kids and helping them learn and my kid s no different. I am probably a little too excited about everything he can learn and am always cramming stuff in his face for him to try out, but hey! Whatever! Tonight I heard myself while he was in the bath tub saying, :Elem how old are you? You are 1! Thats right 1!" haha. He had no idea what I was talking about, but he was smiling at me and telling me No. Does that count for understanding? Okay here we go:

This month Elem is:
-on the move! Literally, every second he is awake, he is running somewhere, or trying to get into something-be it the pantry, on the couch, in a chair, under the table, picking up balls, anything. The boy is a ball of energy. But when he is tired-he is sooo tired.


-sleeping all night. Wahoo-from about 8:30pm-8:30am. Sometimes waking up a little earlier and every once in a while waking up around 6 for a bottle. And yes I always give it to him. So kill me. :)

-eating with utensils all by himself, and goes to the high chair or pantry when he is hungry. He really doesnt want to eat in the high chair unless it is with a fork or spoon and he does a great job with it. Gets the food on there and gets at least some to his mouth just about every time.

-LOVES bath time-and I am pretty much giving him a bath every night these days because he loves it so much. It really gives him a chance to get calmed down for bed and plus he just is in love with the water. He loves pools too, and will walk right into a pool with no reservations. Loves to get his face wet and dip his face and ears into the water.

-can climb stairs-not walk up them, but walk/crawl.

-words I can think of...dog, sage, momma, dadda, poppa, no, bubba, bot bot(for bottle), bye bye, hi, night night, wo, go, ball, ba-ba-bo (for basketball), huh, ja-neh (for janet)-a teacher at school, bro ba (for brown bear brown bear), don (for dont), bru bru (for brush brush teeth) and then he mubbles a ton of other stuff like jibberish, but I just have no idea what he is saying. It is hilarious, because he tries to have a conversation back and forth with you and really has the look of, do you understand what I am saying? on his face



-points to his nose or your nose when you ask him where his nose is.

-knows that his shoes and socks go on his feet and will put them on top of his feet, but of course can not get them on. He also goes and gets my shoes and seths shoes and brings them to us and then stands on them, like I need to put this on my foot. Which we then put on his feet, and then he immediately walks out of and then gets upset.

-Loves to play in the sand or do anything with cups or shovels. Likes to fill up, and pour out over and over and over and over.

-can run with push toys and pull toys

-can climb into a little kid sized chair and get onto his bottom

-will give you kisses if you smack your lips, and he will smack his lips back at you before he gives kisses. This is Seth and I's favorite thing in the whole world. :) And I find myself hovering over his face trying to get kisses, but it is those times when I can tell he is over it and no more kisses are shared. haha.

-laughs at things he thinks are funny

-says no when he goes up to something that he shouldnt be touching or doing

-takes any keys he can find to a door and bangs then on the door knob like he is unlocking or locking it:very cute

-goes to the door and hits it saying bye bye, bye bye

-climbs into the car -when he gets the chance

-is on a super picky eating fit-only wants to eat noodles, cheese toast, baby cheetos, vanilla wafers, and animal cookies.

-drinks from a cup for most of the day, but not at night-I personally need to work on this one, but it is hard for me, when he is walking over to the sink, where the bottles are, going bot bot, bot bot

-weighs 26 lbs, and is 32in long

-likes to empty out baskets or containers and put things back in. If you point to a basket he will take the object to it

-loves to play basketball, and will put a ball through any whole, hoop, anything he can find. Loves to get real big basketballs, and go up to the big goals outside and throw them. Yes he hits himself in the head from time to time, but its what he wants to do.


-still enjoys cell phones and likes to put them to his ear and will mubble back to the person on the other end if he can hear them

-plays all kinds of games with anyone. He will go and get a ball and throw it to you, role it to you, mimick you, likes to play chse, likes to go under your legs, likes to play peek a boo, etc.

-loves to give 5s

-can follow some directions, just like when you point to something, etc.

-shakes his head no to everything and responds no to many things that we say

-is obsessed with vacuums and dust busters, and brooms and mops. Not sure if he gets this from his poppa, who is a cleaning man, or from us at school always cleaning, but anywhere any time he hears a vacuum or sees a broom or something, he is gone. You have to watch him pretty close, because he will take off sweeping or trying to mess with the vacuum all the time.

-he gets very frustrated and upset when he can not get something to fit or work or turn on. Usually gets very angry and cries or its something

-has been playing ball with the wall lately. He likes to get any ball and throw it over and over to the wall.He loves to play ball with people too, but mostly fences and the wall. Doors, and windows are also included in this. I believe it is because when he throws it, it comes right back to him, or at least in his general direction. So if that is the reason, then I think it is very smart. :)






-walks backwards and spins circles till he is dizzy and falls down-loves this game


-dances, dances, dances. STill loves music and enjoys going up to radios and turning the knobs. He will tuner both the tuner and the volume at the same time till it is blaring and he has found a new station.

-can kick a ball and fallow it and continue to kick it. (seth tries to discourage this, and only encourage basketball, but I secretly encourage the soccer skills. haha)

-brushes teeth and knows where to find the tooth brushes

-brushes his hair and your hair when he can get a comb or hair brush

-hits. and hits often. He actually has started this thing where he raises his hand to right next to his head and then just looks at you, and then hits you. He hits me, he hits Cecilia, he hits the big kids at school, and then he pushes the little kids. Don't get me wrong he is such a good kid, but I have to be honest and say he is very rough, aggressive and just all boy.

-last but not least-we have a screamer. Elem screams all the time, and mostly loves to hear himself scream. Indoors or outdoors, in public places and at home, he is a super loud child and yes mom-I am getting my pay back. haha. I of course was a very loud child and I think he must have gotten this trait from me.

As always, I have listed a zillion things, but I love to look back and know or see where he was at any given time. Its actually a little weird to look back only a few months ago and see how far he has come. He is so mobile and can do so many things, yet still needs us for most of the things he does. He loves to be around people that he knows and is such a joy when he is around. He is loving and sweet, and rough and tough! I love taking him to work with me every day and dont think I would make it through the day if he wasnt there. I love my little kisses, hugs, and love pats from Elem all through the day. I love the chance to put him down for nap every day and be there when he wakes up. Seth and I are having so much fun being parents and with every month comes new challenges and many many more rewards. This month I have most enjoyed when Elem walks up to me while I am standing up, and wraps his arms around my legs, and turns his head and squeezes me to give me a hug. And then he usually pats both hands like extra lovin! Seth's favorite thing is when he says dadda and gives him kisses. Which dadda is said quite often around here, way more than momma. :) Can not wait to see what next month has in store for us, and continue to love on our little man.

5 comments:

becky said...

i can not believe all the things that elem is doing. it is weird that just 4 months ago when yall were here he was not doing any of that. he was really just getting good at walking. so crazy-he is truly the cutest baby.

Scott said...

I love when you document how far your little man has come. He is just precious and the love you and Seth have for him melts my heart! You guys are one beautiful fam.:-)

Anonymous said...

He looks like he is going to be blond by the end of the summer! Wish we could let the boys play together! Sounds like they would have a ball!

Mittig family said...

I love reading all his milestones! I wish I was better at keeping my kids' up to date!

Unknown said...

He is such a cutie!!! I love seeing his chunky little face, it makes me smile every time!
Hope all is well!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers