Monday, March 2, 2009

Potty Time

Potty time at our house has been a great addition to Elem's routine lately. I made a point to buy a potty at a very early age, not to force Elem to use it or try to get him potty trained before he was ready, but just to introduce him to it and have it available so he could become familiar with it. I have potty trained many kids over the years (at work), and although people like to put stereotypes on boys being lazy, they really arent that bad if you make it fun! so like I said, the potty has been in the bathroom for a good 6 months, and Elem has sat on it, stood on it, done everything with it, and knew that it was there to "potty" with whenever he was ready. Over the last few weeks he finally got the hang of pottying and actually understood what it meant to peepee potty! And he has really run with the idea. He LOVES going potty when Seth and I go potty, but mostly when daddy goes. :)

This week he has picked up the pace, and although he is still waking up from naps and sleep with a soaking wet diaper, he is pottying about 3 times a day in the potty. And today for the first time, he pottyed at school! Which is huge for us because he usually just likes to pee in his potty at home! So I am very proud of him for being such a big boy and pottying just like the big kids at school. My goal for poty training is again, not to force him into anything he isnt ready for, and not to make potty training something that he feels is a negative thing, but just to keep it light and fun, and something exciting and hope everything else falls into place. So far so good. Lets hope he keeps this us. Go Elem Go!

And randomly enough, it has actually been a really good bonding opportunity for me and Elem. I feel like I get some good quality time when we are in the bathroom together, down on his level talking about if he feels like he needs to go potty, and if he can go. haha. Strange I know, but true. Any time with my little boy is good quality time, so Ill take any time I can get! On a side note, in addition to pottying, Elem has also continued this facination with mommy's make-up. He loves to get my makeup when I am putting it on and put some on too. Only he doesnt quite understand the concept to put it on his face. For some reason he enjoys the makeup on the head. So I guess I should be glad he isnt putting it on his face, right? But I still let him play with it every time. I figure if I make a big deal about it and dont let him do it, then he will just want it more! As you can see below-clinique powder tends to be a lot of fun when you are almost 2!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the potty training! The cast was a huge setback for us, but even then, our potty training wasn't progressing all that well. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Unknown said...

Ahhh only boys would find time in the potty to bond. hahaha. ;)

And he has your smile!! i love it!

mom said...

Great job with the pottying!!! Won't it be great to finally do without diapers? I know he isn't there yet, but he is making progress. Speaking of potties, I dropped my new cell phone in our potty today while it was flushing. You should have seen me scramble. I retrieved the body, but, alas my cell phone could not swim and drown.

Jonny Meyer said...

Its funny cause we still bond when pottying. Sometimes when we dont have anyone to bond with we will leave a note on the wall to bond with the next person to come around.

I cant believe how big Elem is getting! he really started to grow into all that pudge. That kid is gonna be just like his dad in the height department.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers