Friday, December 11, 2009

Thanksgiving Memphis Style

We were so lucky to get to spend Thanksgiving with both sides of our family this year-the first one being on Thanksgiving day, with Seth's side of the family, and then the 2nd being the next couple of days with my family in Memphis. We spend a lot of time with Seth's family here in Little Rock, so it is always a great and special event to pack up the car and head on up to Memphis to spend time with my mom and dad. And even more fun when my sister's family makes the trip to meet us there. But this Thanksgiving was even more special, because my brother and his new wife, Ximena, (yes she is actually from Argentina) (pronounced Hi-mane-ah :)with a short "i" and a short "a") flew all the way in from Colorado for the week! So we got to spend time with everybody all at once, which is a rare treat, just because of all of our work schedules, kids, and everyday craziness we all have going on. First, thing, as soon as we got to my mom and dad's, Elem was ready to PLAY! As he always is. Luckily, Anyd and Ximena were already there, and Becky, Vincent, and Wyatt pulled up shortly after we did. So we enjoyed some fun time outside with the boys, just playing some baseball and soccer in the yard. I tend to go a little overboard with pictures when I get to family events, but I just can not help that I am a camera happy person. I dont want to miss one single second of anything! Much less not have a photo of it to document the event. Oh well, I know I have a problem, but at least I have a lot of memories. hehe.

Vincent, Elem, Wyatt, Andy, Ximena

Wyatt and Elem both with their own agendas and heading for their own ball-Elem to hit the ball and Wyatt to kick it!

Uhm-no time for play here-It takes serious dedication and focus when you want to be the best, even if it means practicing at Memaw and Papaws on a holiday weekend. :)

Elem in deep thought, planning out his next scooter move, in hopes of impressing his younger cousin. Wyatt on the other hand, is on a mission to get that scooter, if he could just ever get to one single toy before Elem. Geez!

Inside-lots of cooking, chatting, and playing going on. With 2 toddlers, 2 grandparents, and plenty of young married couples, we had plenty to talk about. Needless to say, the day flew by super quick! Here is my sis and Wyatt in the living room, playing with some of Memaws toys. Toys at the grandparents are always the best.

Elem enjoying some quality time with Papaw

And of course with Memaw. Being never the less-goofy as possible.

At this point in the trip is when I got a little camera happy :) I LOVE LOVE LOVE my nephew Wyatt, but he is never really TOO excited to see his Aunt Mindy. Bless his heart, I dont know if I would be too happy either if every single time I got around somebody, they were always bringing this louder, bigger, faster, and rougher boy around to take over with all of the toys too. So I can understand his pain. This is the best I could get. But I can sense in his face, he loves me.

Somebody was not quite so thrilled that I was taking up close pics of another little boy. Elem needed a picture with me at that very moment. :) I loves him.

We spent lots of time outside playing, and luckily the weather was really nice. Just a few rain drops, but other than that, plenty of time to build a much needed ramp for Elem's scooter out back -out of Papaws extra bricks


Seth and I, about to enjoy some Thankgiving goodness-yes I ate the typical-bread, meat, and mashed potatoes-Seth on the other hand, chowed down!


Becky, Me, and my new sis in law-Ximena...we dont look our best, but there were like 4 people taking pictures for this one pose. We did the best we could


Andy and Ximena relaxing after some yummy Thanksgiving food!

And then I just thought this was funny! Every time we go to my parents, no matter the event or the occasion, I love to watch Elem playing in the rooms where I grew up, or running down the hall like my brother and sister used to do, sitting at the very table where we ate dinner as a family every single night. This time, he enjoyed a nice LONG bath in the very bath where we used to scrub clean too. Its funny to see him in my parents house, because I always feel like things are a little smaller than when I grew up in the house. But I guess thats just because I was a lot smaller when I was growing up there. I dont know-its a weird feeling. But Elem ducked out of some family time to chill in the bath tub and clean up at Memaws house despite the crowd in the next room. He obviously doesnt need any of us to have a good time.


We had such a great Thanksgiving with my family in Memphis and are so happy to have finally met my new sister -n-law. EVen more excited that she fit right in with us, and seemed just like she had known us all along. We are so happy to have been able to spend this much needed time with everybody and cant wait to do it again. Time with Memaw and Papaw is always fun, and Elem always receives just the right amount of being spoiled as we can handle for the time we are there ! haha! Cant wait to spend time with my side of the family over the upcoming holiday breaks! We are so thankful for our extended family-on both sides, and couldnt be more lucky to have so many people that love both of us, and even more so, our amazing little Elem.

No comments:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers