Saturday, January 30, 2010

Best Friends Forever

BFFS: Canaan and Elem

I still feel just as lucky as I did the day I started my job at Our House, to be able to bring Elem to school with me each and every day. It is a really sureal feeling knowing that I am never too far away from him, and knowing that I am responsible for his lesson plans, discipline, etc. any time I feel the need to step in. Now it does have its down sides as well, for example, no teacher wanting to send him to time out or speak serious to him for fear of me not approving, but it also has the awesome pluses-one of favorites, being the chance to see him make new friends and develop great relationships all by himself. Without me coordinating it, or having him play with someone by force.

For as long as I can remember Elem has named Canaan his Best Friend. Canaan's actually goes to Head Start during the morning hours and then ends up at the shelter for the afternoon. So Elem is always dissapointed when Canaan is not there when we arrive bright and early, but he is always super enthused when he wakes up from his nap to find Canaan there ready to play some basketball or footballl or right bikes! Canaan is always bringing Elem some sort of toy from his house, and letting Elem borrow it for the night or for the weekend and it is so sweet to see their interaction. Canaan is actually 5 years old, but he and Elem get along great, and they have been together for all 2 and 1/2 years of Elem's life, so Elem really doesn know any difference in regards to the age. He for sure hangs right in there with Canaan no matter how rough they are playing or how fast they are running. He wants to play with his BFF no matter what! I snapped some pics of the boys playing together this morning at school, because Canaan made a rare appearance for the whole day and Elem was super excited and it was just too sweet to see them never leave each other's side!

Before they headed out to ride bikes I caught Canaan trying to put Elem's shoes on and Elem was just chilling, ready to let it take as long as it needed. All just so Canaan could do it for him and no one else. haha. Then I also caught Canaan trying to zip up Elem's coat for him so they could line up together. Seriously sweetnees. Oh and did I mention that the fabulous coat Elem has on was Canaans that he gave to Elem. A-DOR-A-BLE.


My little man just couldnt stop smiling all morning long. He has sense drifted off to sleep but I was just so happy for him watching him all morning doing different things with Canaan-learning and growing from playing with a smart and kind 5 year old. And just happy to know he has someone to call his best friend. I love seeing hiim happy and for now-his BFF really does that for him. He is almost like a support system for him. Who knew 2 year olds would have support systems that they would really depend on during the day?

1 comment:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers