Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Race for the Cure 2010


Real Men Wear Pink right? Uhm hell yes they do! Well in our family they sure do, but with a purpose of course! And that purpose being for breast cancer awareness!

Every year we look forward to the Race for the Cure in Little Rock, to honor all those who have fought the battle of Breast Cancer and to celebrate those have won against it. We love to celebrate the win over breast cancer for my mom, by participating in the walk, and it has become a true tradition for my mom and my family over the past few years. Elem has literally been participating since before he could crawl-and I wouldn't have it any other way! This year my mom added in a couple of fundraiser tries, and were successful in gathering about $300.00 together, thanks to my mom walking around her school collecting $$$ with a hot pink boa around her neck the day before the race!! Whoo whoo!. (we will have to have her start that a little earlier next year:) )

Mom, we are so proud of you and you are our hero-more than you will ever know. You have had such a successful life and succeeded in everything you have put your mind to-so I shouldn't have expected anything less when you heard you had breast cancer. We knew you would make it through, and we are happy to honor you in our race for the cure-literally.

Our Race for the Cure weekend started out a little more rushed than usual, mom had to work until Friday afternoon, and I had work and school all week, and Seth was out of town-so no time to fluff and get ready like I usually do for the race. Luckily, my mom made it around 8pm on Friday night, in plenty of time to see Elem before he headed off to bed. Elem knew Memaw was coming, and was so ready for her to get here, he could hardly contain himself! He loves when his Memaw comes in town, loves talking about her, and loves to tell her all kinds of stuff because she is always way more interested and involved in the conversation than the rest of the world. haha And memaw brings lots and lots of little gifts every time she comes-no matter when it is, she always comes with goodies! Isn't that what grandparents are for???? Well Elem could not have been happier when he saw the lights pull up in front of the house. He had a grin on his face from ear to ear and he was the first one to the door to greet her! We spent some time just playing and catching up, and then got a good nights sleep before waking up super early to get ready for the race downtown. I love love love that so many people from all different facets of my life come out to support so many women-this year my friends were there, co-workers,students in my class, extended family, etc. So much fun to know that it means so much to so many people.

Elem and I had been talking about the race for quite some time, and he really understood most of the pieces about it, and most importantly, he totally understood that everybody had to wear pink to show you were "on that team". So my most favorite thing that Elem said all weekend was on our way to the race in the car-I had scooped him up out of bed and was going to get him dressed when we got there, and he woke up along the drive, and looked at me and my mom very concerned and said, "

Hey mom! I forgot to wear my pink!" It was so sweet. Of course I told him I brought him stuff, but he was genuinely worried and it was just adorable. Here are a few pics from the days events!
Elem-Kind of awake, but really into looking at all the stuff going on and all the pinkness so bright and early in the morning.

Jeff, mom, me, Elem

Me, Jeff


Elem and Me-with about a 1/4 mile left to go...uhm not sure how I got stuck with this end of the deal, stroller is behind us being puched, and I am carrying 40 pounds of solid love. Hmmm-oh well I love it! Happy to suck it up.


Mom, me


Steph, Aidan, Dawn


Cecilia-all pinked out


Just such a great morning and filled with tons of positive energy. We always have a blast and each year wait to find that cure. Thanks mom for coming in town and doing the walk with us each and every year! It means a lot to us, and we hope our little tradition stays in tact every year from here on out.

No comments:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers