Sunday, June 10, 2007

Off to the doc-A hernia?? Are you kidding me?





Well over the past few weeks we have noticed that Elem has been grunting tons! Like every sec of every day almost. And at first I thought it was his personality you know? Or just like what he did before he started crying. And it didnt seem like a big deal, but the more he did it, or the more days it kept occuring, of course my mind started to wonder. And I started thinking it was like something wrong. Then one thing lead to another and I noticed how he sounded like he had a cold, like his nose sounded runny and what not. And then I started finding all kinds of stuff wrong with him, like I thought he was constipated cause he wasnt going to the bathroom as much as he was, and then I thought he was having gas, cause he was like making the screams like he was hurt and curling up into a little ball. AND his belly button was looking crazy and all pokin out and stuff. I was thinking it was looking like a hernia cause I had seen one at the daycare I worked at a few years ago but was really hoping he didnt have one. Anyways, so with all those things running through my head that could be wrong I had to plan a doctor visit. Just to go ahead and let the doc look at him and tell me everything was okay.


So we took him in on Tuesday and she took a look. First of all, what blew my mind is that he weighs 10lbs and 3 oz!!! WOw. What in the world. he gained 3 and 1/2 pounds. Geez. I had no idea he had gained that weight. Breast milk must be seriously nourishing. Haha. ANyways, so they bagan to check him and out looks like everything was okay, he might be a little constipated, but that is pretty normal and all I need to do is give him a little pear juice here and there. So then onto the gas issue, just continue with the mylecon drops-which are these gas drops that have literally been my best friend. I have been giving him those just about with every feeding. Then the checked out the grunting and of course where I thought he was having all these problems breathing and everything, turns out he is completly fine. Nothing to worry about all at all. So that made me feel a whole lot better. Then what I was afraid of, was the hernia. They took one looka at my poor little babies insane outy and yup- no doubt that was a hernia. An umbilical hernia.


The umbilical hernia is not dangerous at all, the doc said she had only seen one case where the littloe girl had to have surgery and that the hernia should go away by age 5. Age 5??? Are you kidding??? I dont want my poor baby to have that thing till then!! But there is nothing I can do about it. It is there for good. And it doesnt really come from anything, just happens to a lot of babies, but most of then go away by 6 months or so. So lets hope for the best and pray that he doesnt have to have anything done to it. I highly doubt he will but you know what it is like to see your little baby with something like that. Its so sad. And the hernia is worse when he is screaming and upset, and pushing. It pokes out and is really hard. You can push it in though and it is supposed to relieve some of the pressure, but overall, it doesnt hurt him, so that is good! I posted some pics so you guys could see what it looks like. So sad! :(


Although I was sad to find out it was a hernia, I am just glad to know that my aby is healthy and nothing seriously wrong. You know with all the work I have done with kids and that being my major and what not, you would think that I would never be worried about anything. I always told myself that I wouldnt. But when it comes down to it, when its your baby, you DO worry. And you really cant hep it. Like I think I kinda turned into a worry wart for a minute there. Haha. But like I said, nothing is wrong and he is happy and healthy and growing every day. So cant complain!


Other than the visit to the doc, pretty much the same ole same ole. Just playing with him every day and feeling like a feeding machine. I mean for real, if I could tell you how much time I spend breast feeding, you would probably all laugh at me. I mean, the doc told me that some babies are great breast feeders and cant feed on each side for about 10 minutes and be good to go. Not Elem. Haha. He likes to linger and pretty much use me as a pacifier. You know chilling for hours at a time. Guess I cant blame him, its not like there is anything else he needs to be doing. :) So he eats and sleeps the majority of the day but is up about 4 hours a day or so-not including feeding times. Sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. Its so peaceful when he is asleep and I feel like there are a million things I need to get done, but at the same time all I want to do is sleep b ecause I am still waking up every 2 hours give or take at night. I am a very sleepy mommy! I cant wait till the 4-5 hour sleeping begins. Ill feel like a whole new woman! Okay baby is awake, gots to give him some lovin!

2 comments:

ritaashlock said...

mindy-- it's a good thing you're such a pro! i would never have known what a hernia looked like. i'm glad things are going so well for you-- you look beautiful! i've emailed a couple of times, but i didn't even know if you were still checking that e-mail. either way, i know you're busy, but i just wanted to comment so you would know that i was thinking of you and i think you're doing an amazing job!

Mindy said...

You are so so sweet. I am trying so lets hope that is enough! haha. Hey email me at mindy.madewell@gmail.com I have been checking that one as often as I can.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers