Sunday, October 5, 2008

What's with the delay?

Can someone please explain to me, what the deal is with the lack of communication/return of phone calls from Children's Hospital to the parents of the children they are working on!? It is absolutely ridiculous. I kind of want to send a complain or something. This is the third time over the course of the last month or so that I have tried to reach a nurse-any nurse-in the GI clinic for a returned phone call, and I get nothing. It is more frustrating than I could ever have imagined. This whole process. All I want is for someone, anyone, to please show some interest in my child and in finding out what is wrong with him, but all I get is people looking at me like I am lying while in their doctor's office or hospital, and no return communication. It is just not fair. Last time I called was on Friday morning, at 8:30am, and no return call back. Not even to say, hey you know what we have no results as of yet. For an update, since Elem's procedure on Monday, his diarrhea has increased from about 1-2 a day, to 4-5 complete watery stools a day. Last I heard from the do in the consult after the procedure, hmm...it looks like regular poop. So something is not right here. Doesnt anyone have any compassion around there? I apologize for the downer of my mood, just a lot of overwhelming frustrations. That only lead my mind to wonder and then get more frustrated cause I cant get anyone to communicate with me. Elem is going on 17 months this week.

For the record, this all started when he turned 13 months. You can do the math-that is 4 months of straight miserable diarrhea. And still, I have no answers. I almost am consumed with the feeling of failure for my kid. No answers, no medicine, no sign of relief ahead. It is so miserable when he looks at me like he did today. He pooped and then screamed and ran into my arms. It is not fair for something so annoying as this to be in his life 4-5 times a day. And he doesnt even understand it. I'm sorry Elem for your pain, and for your discomfort. It brings tears to my eyes to see you in pain or uncomfortable. But I can assure you I am trying my best to get an answer. When I stepped into the role of mother, I assumed I would have most of the answers..especially with my background. I had no idea it would be so difficult, to entrust someone else with the care and diagnosis of your baby. I pray for results, fast results, healthy, and clear results. The frustration is overwhelming, and I am mentally and physically drained. :(

Oh and to clear up something Seth always brings to my attention. Elem is always naked because he is always having to have his diaper changed! he, like his mother, has turned into a fan of liking to feel free when in his own household! Can I get an A-man?The poor thing gets dressed and undressed so many times due to the insane number of diaper changes, I try to let him be free and naked when I can. Unfortunately, that tends to be when I get the camera out. And I get picks like the one above. :) Still sweet though.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor sweet boy, I hate that he is still not better!!!

maaydaay said...

Mindy I am thinking of you guys, I can't imagine how awful this all must be.

Brittney said...

Mindy...I am so sorry that Elem is still not better. I really can't understand why you aren not getting better medical help. If you ever need to come to a Dallas Doctor...you MUST just do it and come stay with me! I hate for your poor baby to go on like this anymore!!!

BTW...Jilly got the books...and won't put them down. She LOVES the Barbie book...her very first Barbie anything! She wants to send a big kiss to her first BF Elem!!!!

Mindy said...

Thank you everybody so much! Hopefully we will get some answers this week. Keep your fingers crossed! B-I thought Jilly would like the Barbie book. I tried to send more but they wouldnt fit in that envelope! Ill hook her up, cause I have an unlimited resource of books! ha! (The daycare).

Alicia said...

I know I keep saying this, but I am so sorry you guys are still dealing with these issues. This is just my two cents ... I would get a copy of Elem's medical record. You can ask the hospital and/or clinic for a copy of his med record which will include all test results since the very beginning. You will also be able to see the dr's notes. That way you will have a diagnosis in front of you and are less likely to be told a wrong diag or to have someone tell you they don't have a diag when in reality they may just feel too busy (or lazy) to look it up. They may act annoyed if you ask for it, but they have to provide it.

Also, every hospital has some kind of ethics officer or patient relations person - it's usually listed on the hospital's website. If you call that person and express your concerns about being ignored or having significant delays in getting test results, I bet you would start getting attention. Even if they think you're just complaining - at least you would be getting somewhere. And no one is going to judge a mom for trying EVERYTHING to help her child who has been sick this long.

It really hurts me to see my little guy sick, so I can not imagine going thru 4 months of this. But hang in there ... you are one tough mommy!

Brittney said...

BTW...I also love your new blog design. That picture of Elem is too cute! He is such a handsome little guy!

Kimberly said...

Girl if you don't complain I will for you! It is irritating me how you are getting neglected. Should I call the news so they can do a report on it and maybe that will give some spotlight so you can get some answers? Seriously, I can only imagine your frustration!
Ya'll are in my prayers!!

Scott said...

Keeping you guys in our prayers Lou-Lou!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers