Tuesday, October 7, 2008

And the results are in.

After many phone calls, and a few rude ones at that, I finally heard from Dr. O'Connor herself today. She called me calm and collected, and I knew immediately that everything was okay by the tone of her voice. She proceeded to tell e that they tested for celiac and all levels were normal, that the blood tests and levels all came back normal, and that they biopsy results from both areas of tissue were normal as well. No allergens in the blood, and as she stated before, nothing from the outside view looked anything but normal. So there you have it. All normal.

As much as I am grateful for the results to be normal, and for my child not to have anything that we can tell as of yet to be life threatening, my mind is still not at ease. More so, just plain frustration is taking over my every day thoughts. I appreciate the results, as that is what I was so longing to hear from her. that everything was normal. But it brings me back to where I was 4 months ago, with a child who has increasing diarrhea, and no test results to prove where the issue is originating from. So for now, we say thank you. Thank you for the positive results. That is what I am dwelling on now. At least for tonight. My child does not have any kind of cancer, intestinal deformality, etc. And for that I am truly blessed.

The end of the conversation with the doctor was my informing her that the diarrhea was increasing, and what should I do? Her direction, to do pro biotics (which we have already done on multiple occasions-with no better results in regards to stools)and to add Benefiber (which we have also done-and leads to our child turning away all foods in general). So no good suggested ideas for help as I see it.

Now I ask for direction as to what to do next. I have received all kinds of suggestions from friends , family, nurses, etc. Everyone has their own idea of what it possibly could be. But no one is certain. And we, Seth, and I , are at our wits end as to who to listen to. My sis, who is a nurse has suggested a bare diet, introducing foods one at a time, which sounds good in theory, but will be so hard to implement on a daily basis with a 17 month old toddler. My in laws think it is the milk, but yet they still give him milk products, as do I. My mom is a fan of the pro biotics, and the lists go on and on. All good ideas, just which one to follow. And then again, which one do seth and I agree on? I for one, and pro trying the limited diet, but without everyones help that will be impossible. I am tired of the pro biotics because they didnt work last time. Soo many options, and yet nothing to give me immediate results, which is what I am longing for. Some sign of cure, in the road straight ahead.

For now, we will deliberate, and I am trying to get an appointment in the near future with a pediatric allergist. Maybe they can direct me to some things he needs to stay away from? Lets hope. Medically, that is the next step I am taking, and I am simply doing that on my own accord. I for one am not willing to accept chronic diarrhea as the diagnosis. 4 months and still going stong is a little too long for chronic diarrhea for a 17 month old infant in my book.

So the search continues. Keep your ideas and suggestions coming. I am taking them all into consideration and your expertise benefits me more than you know.

Despite everything, Elem has continued to have a good outlook on life. He still giggles, and plays, and shows his love to us everyday. Although he has his moments of pain and discomfort, and frustration overtakes his body and mind on a daily basis, he still has a good time, and shows a happy face, the one that we love to see, every single day!
Here is Elem and sage playing together! Elem with the toy initially, tasting it even, to make sure Sage wants it.


Not quite ready to let her get it. even though he is squeaking it over and over to get her going crazy!


Finally, he shares. Her toy-with her!


They love each other, even though Sage would never admit that to anyone And he would most likely deny it too. But they do. And in times like this when I am so frustrated, little tug of war games like this are priceless! The giggles and the growls are so funny, and make me realize if he can find the lighter happy side of this on a daily basis, then so can I. We will find out what is wrong and we just have to put it in God's hands to point us in the right direction. :)

6 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

I would suggest seeing a dietician. We saw one when Madison was having all her problems. Since she was so small (and only nursing) they really worked on my diet to "weed" things out. It worked we did find things that bothered her more than others. I hope you get some answers soon. Elem is absolutely beautiful :0

becky said...

i think going to a dietician and also seeing an allergist is a wonderful idea however i do not think that they are going to say that you are going to have immediate relief of the problem. i love you and elem and i so glad you came this weekend. he is beautiful as are you.

Unknown said...

I have no suggestions because I have no kids and I have no medical background whatsoever...just know that I am feeling sympathetic for you and that cutie pie and will keep reading, hoping for positive results and praying for him to get better.
:)

Brittney said...

Mindy...I will defintely be praying for Elem to get better immediately. And also...for you to have some peace!

Brittney said...

Mindy...I will defintely be praying for Elem to get better immediately. And also...for you to have some peace!

Scott said...

Mindy Lou - So glad the test results came back good! I know this continues to be frustrating for your guys, but you WILL figure this out soon. My prayers continue to be for a speedy answer to all of this mess. And BTW, LOVE your new blog layout! And the pic of Elem in the titlebar is the perfect "look and feel" for your fam's blog! :) Love you!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers