Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Inevitable, first hair cut


Yes I am sad to say that little Elem Zane finally reached the point where he could no longer see due to the long bangs dangling in his eyes at every second. Although over the last few months, I have done my best to brush them to the side every other second, hair spray them, wet them down, etc. It just wasnt cutting it, and I finally realized it was time for a little trim. :( I totally did not want to take Elem to get his hair cut, but that is me being selfish, because I LOVE those long locks of his, but then again, if I was going to do it, I wanted to get it done in time before Christmas, so if I didnt like it it could have a chance to grow out a little bit. Now, his hair was getting to be insane. I mean super long, shaggy, curly-just fabulous-and yes I know people mistake him for a girl daily, but I loved it. Seth loved it. We both didnt want to part with the shaggy untamed beast, but we agreed that the time had come. So I called up my good friend Kimmy, who by the way works at Cara Cala and is my hair stylist. She is so amazing, and I put all my faith in her to do my baby boy up right.

So last Thursday night, we headed straight from the doctor, after he received his second dose of antibiotic shots in his legs (mean I know, but I had made the appointment before I knew he was going to be getting those shots), to the salon. We ended up having to wait a little while so I snapped a few before shots while we chilled in the front.

Just look at my babies beautiful hair. I seriously am going to miss it.


And from the side, and a little of the back. Again, I am going to miss it.


She finally called us back, and we tried putting him in the tall kiddie chair, but he was having none of that. He needed his mommy to sit with him at this strange place where someone was trying to get at him with a brush and a pair of scissors. I probably would have done the same. And just like that, she started the cutting.


And more, and more, and more. :( It looked like so much hair was being cut, and just falling all over the place, when in reality, I know it wasnt that much. But all the while she was cutting, I was trying to think-okay this will grow back, it is for his own good, he cant ever seen for goodness sakes. So I took deep breaths and just let her get on with it. As you can see Elem wasnt too thrilled with the scissors in his face. But a little help from a couple of suckers seemed to pacify him just long enough to trim it right up.


Good job Elem-almost done bubba.


I must brag on myself for always being prepared at outing. I tend to anticipate things that will be needed, and always bring the crowd favorites in a desperate situation-much like this one. As you ca tell, I brought the sprite (which I am not a fan of sharing with Elem-but he loves it), I brought the Ritz Bitz, which are always handy, sucker-a few kinds at that, and chapstick-which tends to be amusing any time it is pulled out. With everything I brought, he was minimally amused, but again pacified long enough to get the job done.


And the after. Now I know I know it doesnt look all that much shorter like I am thinking it is, but it IS a lot shorter. I promise. I think she took like 2 inches off. I am pretty sure. But then again estimating measurements never were my strong point.haha. But for real, his bangs are sooo much shorter than they were, and the back is pretty short too. However-even though the long locks were mommy's favorite, he still is just as handsome as ever.


Thank you Kimmy for trimmin my baby up, and not taking too much off! You did a great job! And even though Elem wasnt the best client ever, I promise he will do much better next time. And despite the "hair loss" Elem is still same ole Elem, just now he can see where he is going. As soon as we got home, he was right back at it-running, being crazy, being sweet, and being just plain ole loud. hehehe.


So, a huge milestone in my book-and I still cant believe I actually went through with it. We still plan to keep Elem's hair long-because Seth and I both love it, and he does have great hair. :) So why not, right? But I do promise to keep it at least where he can see, for the most part anyways, and if not, I swear I will get that hair trained one of these days! if it could only stay to one side, the bang length would make no difference. Oh and did I mention I just learned that Elem has a double crown?! That is why he always has the crazy poof in the back on his head. I dont have a double crown, and neither does Seth...so no tellin where he got that.

5 comments:

mom said...

He still is extremely handsome. Now that we can see his gorgeous eyes clearly, he is even cuter. I love the picture of you both at the beginning. I have a picture of you on my lap too. It's a memory.
Can't wait to see you soon!

Kay Wilson said...

He is adorable and you look great. I am so happy for you and your little family. Excited to follow your events with your child.

Kay Wilson

becky said...

His hair looks beautiful and it is still not too short. You are right he does have great hair.

Brittney said...

The first haircut is a HUGE deal and I felt the same way. I just didn't want anything happening to Jillian's hair! I think Elem looks adorable and you can see his cute face better now! If I had a boy, I would totally have long hair on him...LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

He looks great after his haircut! I can sympathize with the double crown thing. Both Rad and I have it, and it drives me crazy on both of us!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers