Monday, April 20, 2009

What I Love Most Mondays



Today was a little tricky at first...I went to bed with a snotty nosed, coughing baby with fever, and woke up to the same little sick baby. :( After a trip to the doctor, the inevitable was stated-a double ear infection. I hate those words-but they seem to be such a re-occurring statement in the life of my short lived little boy. For some reason I thought the length of time I breast fed-10 and 1/2 months to be exact, would somehow assist in the healthiness of my baby, but it seems as if he is just as sick as any other baby around-if not more. He has had terrible ear infections pretty much since the day I stopped breast feeding, and they have just never stopped. I asked about tubes today, but they said ear infections clear up about age 2 and to wait it out one or two more months to see how it goes. Then we will go from there.

So for now, I have spent my day holding a sweet, but whiny 23 month old, 31 pound baby boy! Ever tried carrying around 31 pounds all day long? Well it is no joke. Nothing more a mom wants than to hold their sick little one, but these days it is getting harder and harder since Elem is growing bigger and bigger! But I did my best, and the silver lining in the whole day, what I absolutely love most about this Monday, is after a nice hot bubble bath, after medicine is given, after hair is brushed, after sippy cups are filled, and after a blankey is grabbed with lots of love-even in the saddest of ways, I get cuddle time. Time to just lay on the couch, with Elem right on top of me, cuddled to his blanket and cuddled with me, eyes closed, nose stuffed up, and all worries set aside. It is so amazing. To just look at him and kiss the top of his head, checking him for fever, and rubbing his back, just to let him know I am here, when he is really already pretty much asleep and could probably care less what I am doing. Soothing a sick toddler almost makes you feel like they are a baby again, and they REALLY need you. Like they are totally dependable on you. It is rewarding....rewarding to know that you are still needed and that for that very moment -YOU are the most important part of their world. You are making them feel better. I am making him feel better. SO in a selfish way-that is what I love most about this Monday. Cuddling-and feeling important. :) Happy Monday! What are you Happy About today?

2 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

What a sweet post, I too love getting cuddly time :) It does get harder, Taylor has HSP (if you want to know more you can ready my last 2 blog entrees) and I have been getting cuddly time with her. It is hard for an almost 9 yr old to climb in my lap (she is almost as tall as me)! I do love that she still needs me though :) Hope Elem gets to feeling better. BTW, I thought my 3 would be so healthy as they were all breastfeed for almost a year but Taylor had horrible ear infections, Caleb had strep and Madison also had the ear infections. They rarely get these now that they are older. Madison is just getting over a double ear infection and she hadn't had one in 14 months :)

Brittney said...

Man, I feel your pain on the double ear infections...we just went through it too...and it makes the little kiddos so pathetic! I can't believe Elem is 31 pounds! Your biceps must look awesom!!!!!! Hope Baby and Momma feel lots better soon!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers