Wednesday, October 28, 2009

We THINK PINK

Yes, all of us THINK PINK around here-including our boys!


Especially during the month of October, but mostly just because we love love love my mom (memaw to Elem) and are so proud of the battle she has won against breast cancer, and for all the women out there who have been touched some way by this horrible cancer. I am happy to report that it has officially been 3 years, well a little over 3 years, since my mom won her battled against breast cancer, and we make it a priority to do the Race for the Cure here in Little Rock each and every October. I have been doing the race for many years now, but it means so much more to actually walk for someone close to you, and "see" the difference you and all the others who are there are making, just by showing up, walking, and supporting the cause. It is truly an amazing event to be a part of and we wouldn't miss it for the world. I know many of you also participate in your cities, and I just want to say on behalf of my mom, THANK YOU! For those of you who run it, I envy you, because I so wish I could get there, hehe-Becky-but I am just as happy to walk with my mom. And all her many supporters. My mom arrived Friday night before the race and had some super sweet moments will Elem Zane. Every time he hears Memaw is coming, he gets excited, and immediately starts asking, "where", "where is she". And I mean does not usually stop until he sees her getting out of the car. It is so cute.
Catching a few stories before heading to bed to get ready for the big day...uhm did I mention how many stories Elem likes to read every single night??? Memaw had no idea what was in store. Typical night, bout 15 books or more. I think Memaw got off easy. :)


We made it downtown around 7:40am, after scooping up my cousin Jeff who drove from Memphis to walk with us in support of my mom! We are so thankful he got to join us for this wonderful day. The more the merrier. Seth's mom and sis, known around here as Aunt Ali and Grammy, met up with us as well-even battling a little illness, they made it just to show their support and sport their pink. Again, just so thankful and happy to have family around in support and to do this together. We signed up for the Family Fun Walk so Jeff and Seth could join us, and Elem :) After listening to a little music and battling the masses, we snapped a quick pic and headed off to join in with the tens of thousands already walking. Sadly Jeff seemed to get the boot on many of our pictures. hehe. Sorry Jeff, we still love you!
Me, Mom, Elem, Seth, Grammy, and Ali


I try to go all out, and make Elem as PINK of a supporter for his Memaw as I can, and still keeping him a noticeable boy from afar! Here he is sporting his "PINKED" out stroller with countless pink ribbons, and his "I walk for my memaw" shirt. True supporter since 6 months. Lets get to walkin'


The weather was beautiful, ending out a rainy couple of days, so it made the day even that much better. Our crown seemed to flow smoothly and there were no melt downs by the toddler. :) Made for an even better Race Day. We love you Mom, and are so thankful you won your fight against this disease. Thanks for letting us walk for you. And we look forward to many more years of supporting this cause until a cure is found. Hopefully, we can add to our little "memaw" group as the years come. :) Here we are heading round one of the last blocks downtown (otherwise known as the turn where the firemen are on their firetruck, stripping down and dancing to music.). Always a favorite of the ladies. I love this pic! Look at all that pink, too.


At the end of the race, there is a umbrella of balloons with people lined up on the outside, for survivors to run through and feel the love! Here is our little hero herself, enjoying her moment of triumph. Too cute. Go mom go!


And last but not least, Jeff and my mom. Thanks again for coming all the way down and for showing your support by walking and wearing pink, etc. We hope to see you here each and every year. I don't know why the girl at the end of the race cut you out of the family pic, but she did, so I am giving you your own little pic with mom in the blog! :)


What a great day! What a special day! We love you mom, and will always THINK PINK for you!

3 comments:

becky said...

So glad you got to do the race with mom and I hate that I missed it:(. I love the pink boas (sp)

mom said...

Thanks Mindy!! It was a lot of fun. I am so glad I had my regular mammogram when I did. It caught the cancer at just the right time. Anyone out there.... go get yours! I avoided radiation and chemo. For me, the mastectomy was the best answer. I am cautiously optimistic until 5 years have passed, however.

Lindy said...

so sweet that you guys did that! the feather boas were awesome!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers