Monday, March 1, 2010

Big Boy Room

We actually upgraded Elem's room from a nursery to a big boy room a few months ago, but I just hadn't gotten around to posting pics until now. I can not believe it was already time to be getting a new bed for our little guy, although he was just about too long to fit in his crib anymore. But truth be told, he never even really slept in his bed all too much. Not for what it costs that is! If you consider he slept with Seth and I the entire first year of his life, while I nursed him, and then consider his horrible sleeping habits, it doesn't take a genius to realize that he never spent much time in the awesome crib that he had! Well, I take that back, he and Cecilia did spend a lot of time climbing in the crib and jumping up and down in it a whole whole lot, but very little sleep was actually done in there. Note to self-one thing to change with our next child. Good sleeping habits will be formed early, or I will forever be sleep deprived. Got it! Anyways, we were lucky that Elem never really climbed out of the crib until way later, and it wasn't to be mad and get out, but more so just to do it. So we were lucky with that, but still figured it was time to get Elem a new big boy bed that he could have for his big boy room! We LOVE the way we painted his room, so we did not want to change anything about that. Just a few furniture piece updates, and some new linens, and we knew we would be good to go. Here is the room as a whole, when you first come in. It is pretty tiny-the smallest room in our house, but actually just right for Elem. He loves his room, and it is a very calm room with a great atmosphere!


First purchase was the bed. We actually ordered it online from a random furniture store that I found while looking for the perfect simple and sturdy bed. We knew we wanted dark wood, and the room is so small that we didnt want something that was going to take over the room, so a headboard was kind of out of the picture. We dont plan on this being Elem's bed forever, so a small step forward was really all we needed. We got him a twin size bed, that is pretty much like a box, so you dont have to have box springs, just the mattress. And it has awesome storage drawers underneath, for storing some blankets and toys! It is pretty low, which was also something we wanted, and just nice and simple and clean. It was perfect for his little room. The next buy was the bedding, which I actually got on sale at Target, and it matched perfectly! Cant go wrong with Target! And then the pillows are actually old throw pillows we had, that I found awesome covers for at Target too. ANd just made them work. They totally match too, so we were really happy with the way it turned out!


Next was the toy/book shelf. As you can tell I am a little overboard when it comes to books. This shelf actually doesn't even do all his books justice because you can double up on them so a lot are stacked behind the ones you can see. Which is great for us, because they were kind of overtaking his room. Elem LOVES his books, so I didn't want to move them out of his room, but we didn't have room for another large piece of furniture. So I got this cube shelf from Target also, and filled half the shelves with books and the other half with bins for toys. Still looks nice and clean which is of the utmost importance to me :) and still keeps my little boy happy that many of his favorite toys are still right in his room. Of course we had to clean out our guest bedroom and turn that into a play room as well, but I dont even get into that right now!I love this little shelf.


His dresser is still the same as the one from his nursery. It fits perfect and still works great, so we will be keeping that for a while. We just updated a few pictures and kept it simple.


Bye bye crib, and hello big boy bed. Now if I could only get him to sleep in it full time. I am willing to try out anything.

2 comments:

Brittney said...

I love his big boy room and really LOVE how you painted the walls. I forgot what his room looked like, but you guys did a great job! I guess it is time to put together a nursery again, isn't it????

mom said...

You really have a flair for color Mindy. It looks great. I bet Elem loves it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers