Thursday, October 13, 2011

Flag Football

This fall we knew we wanted to get Elem involved in some sort of sport because is just too sporty and active not to do it! If you know Elem at all, he loves all sports, especially football, and never seems to run out of energy. So, I signed him up to play Upward Flag Football.
Its through his school, which is part of a church, and thats really how we wanted him to get started with sports. I already know how competitive my preschooler is, so he needed some good sportsmanship/winning isn't everything impacts from some good hearted kind men. :) Upward is perfect for that! Seth was out of town when I signed him up, so I took him to the tryouts by myself. I was confused from the get-go because the fact that this is Elem's 2nd sports try out and he is only 4 years old is pretty overwhelming. Haha. We got there and Elem had to participate in 6 or 7 little stations where he was timed for speed and agility if you will, watched on how many throws he could complete and how precise he was, and then watched for his ability to catch the ball. It was the cutest thing ever. Watching him try to hard and run so fast was so amazing. I loved every second of it.

We soon found out he was on The Rattlers team! Like rattlesnakes I think. lol. Jerseys, cleats, and mouth pieces were soon to follow. And then the games and practices started. The season was so fun, with just one practice every week and one game on Saturday! The kids got to run out of a blow up tunnel each week while their named was called and all the "fans/parents" cheered. It was seriously such a big ordeal, and Elem LOVED it! As far as size-Elem was the biggest kid on his team, about even with some of the kindergardeners, which we knew would be true. He is just so big, it is crazy when I see him with kids from other schools who are in kindergarden and 1st grade and he is their size or bigger! Yikes! But he held his own and had an amazing season. Me and E getting ready for the tunnel!!


His favorite parts of the season were running out of the tunnel at the beginning of each game, playing quarterback, and scoring touchdowns! Here he is running like a mad man out of that tunnel!
He actually made some great friends in the short season, and was a really good sport at every game. His least favorite parts of the game included being in the sun during practice-haha, and pulling flags. Guess it kind of goes against the whole purpose of flag football, but what can I say-the boy doesn't like defense! I believe his flag total for the season was uhm ...3. I think. Oh well, bless his little heart, he could catch the other team every time, but he tended to run right beside them as they ran into the end zone. Oopps!

Offense is his game-and he was my little stud of a quarterback, scoring lots of running touchdowns and even throwing quite a few! His coach told us at the end of the season that Elem got the "most pass touchdown record" for the kindergarden league if they had it! Yeah go E! He threw for 5 touchdowns I think, and it was so adorable. All to the same receiver I might add, his new little friend Alex. The whole experience was so fun and Elem had a blast! At the end of each game, the kids got star stickers to put on their flags, representing what skill or attitude they were the best at for that game. Elem got lots of stars for offensive player of the game, offensive leader of the team, sportsmanship, god-like attitude, and for hard work. But his favorite sticker was the green sticker-which was for knowing his memory verse that week. Haha.

Checking out the Defense before he chooses his play...hmmmm-to run the ball or pass the ball?

My little quarterback, handing the ball off to the running back-

Taking a run himself, holding on TIGHT to that ball!

And he is off to the end zone! wooohoo

Ahh, just taking it easy on defense. haha. Did I mention he was not a defense kind of boy?

Cant believe the time is already here when our little Elem Zane is playing organized sports!! Its so fun and exciting, and nerve racking all at the same time. I never knew quite what kind of sports mom I would be-even though I knew I wanted to be involved. I quickly realized I am that mom on the sideline cheering for every single player on our team (and other team sometimes too haha) and I love every single second of it! I really wanted every kid on our team, especially my own, to know what a great job they were doing and know they we were all so proud of them! And I admit I probably cheered to loud at times, which would probably be why seth had to shush me a couple of times-lol. Oh well, Elem heard me cheering him on and thats all that matters! We LOVE us some flag football and cant wait till next season! More Flag football pics from War Memorial Stadium and flag football videos to come soon!


No comments:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers