Monday, August 6, 2007

Thankful...

Needless to say my new job has been very time consuming. But I have to say it has made me think. A-lot. And I just cant help but think of how thankful I am each and every day. For things that I just seem to take for granted. For example, I have been dealing with these kids, who come from crazy backgrounds. You know to see some of these parents with their kids, it is so so sad. And then to find out the age of a parent is even crazier! I thought I wasnt ready to have Elem when I found out I was pregnant and I am 27 . But I have a lady who has 5 kids in the daycare right now and another one on the way. And guess what... she is 23. That is right 23!!! And her kids are 7. 6. 4. 3, and 1. And her next is due in November. And she has no job, and no money. Not even a dollar to her name. So what is she going to do??? I mean I almost wish for her kids sake that someone would call DHS because they can not be taken care of the way they should. And today the 7 year old told me that when she grows up she is going to take the baby sister to live with her. Not her momma. And that the momma can visit her sister. How about that from a little kid. Already planning her little ole life and she is not even in the third grade. How amazing. I just pray each and ever day for all these kids and hope that i can be a huge impact in each and every one of their lives. I hope more than anything that I can teach them everything possible in the short time they are at the shelter, at least enough to get them ahead and hopefully get through school, but more than anything I hope that I can make them feel loved. You know, giving kisses out at a daycare isnt always the most germ free approach and really not too safe , but looking at these kids I am with, it was all I could do today to not give them a hug and kiss every time I looked at their little faces. They need so much love and just someone contstant to tell them they love them. I am so happy to be that person. Its amazing how fast they move through the shelter too. Since I have been there, which is almost a month, I have already seen like 10 kids come and go through the daycare. And that is only 1-6. I am not even including the school kids.

All I can say is that I am so thankful for my family. I love seth and Elem more than anything and I would do anything for both of them. Each day I am going to make sure that Eem knows who is family is andhow much we love him. I cant wait to start bringing him to the daycare so I can just go to his room and give him all the hugs and kisses that I want any time of day. I am so lucky to have that option. And I am so thankful for my extended family and friends. If any of you out there would like to come by and check out the daycare any time please let me know. We can always use donations and volunteers. Even if you only have a few minutes to spare. Like I said, I am so thankful for all of you and I hope each one of you know how much you mean to me. I cant wait for Elem to meet all of the people who mean the most to me and grow up in such a loving environment. We are so lucky to live with so much and have such a great place to call home. be sure to give those you love a hug tonight, its a lot more than a lot of those kids will get tonight I am sure. Take advantage of what you have! :) Okay enough of the soap box for now! Peas-

Oh and you know what, hen I was leaving-that same little girl, showed me her coloring book, and she wrote out that the top of the page, I love my new teacher, Miss Mindy. And she has only been in my class for a week. But you know that sad thing is, she probably wont be around till the end of the week. So say a special prayer for Kedra tonight, and hopefully, she will know just how much she means to someone!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

mindy lou - you are THE most perfect person for this job. I am so happy that these little kids have you and I KNOW you are going to make each and every one of their lives better and impact them for life. I love you tOO!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers