Thursday, September 27, 2007

hard days work

man, I feel like I have kinda been avoiding writing about my job, but I think it will make me feel a little better if I just go ahead and jot down a few things on life at the shelter. First things first, I love my job. I really really do. I mean I am touching the lives of so many people by being there and providing their kids with a safe and consistent learning environment! But my goodness, I do not know how some people have been blessed with children. As aweful as that sounds. I am for real.

For example, the other day I was at work till like 7pm waiting with these two little 2 year old brother and sister for their mom to come and get them. Yes we close at 5. And the crazy thing is, she never showed up. And she LIVES at the shleter. So then I left them with the supervisor of the shelter cause I was like I have a family I want to see my baby. So I go home and am on the phone with DHS and the police until about 9:45pm. Finally, DHS shows up and takes the kids, but what do they do? Go and pick up the mom from work and bring them right back to the shelter. Her whole thing was that she thought that someone else was watching them. How in the WORLD do you not know where your kids are??>? She didnt even know they were there!

I guess I am just spoiled in the fact that I love love love kids and love my family even more. It jst breaks my heart to see some of these kids just getting the run around. Some of their parents dont care anything about them. Now please dont get me wrong. Some really do and are doing everything they can just to make their lives better for their little ones. But it takes all I have not to bring all these babies home!

Anyways, there is some venting. On a good note, I gave a presentation to the board on Monday and it went fab! They loved everything that we are doing in the daycare and with the afterschool program. I finally got a weekly menu up, a weekly curriculum-this week we did body parts!-and a parent info board, lots and lots of pics of the kids and so much more! And did I mention that the kids are learning sooo much! It is almost crazy what a little routine and a lot of love will do for a 2 or 3 year old!

Elem has been going too! he is coming in with every day around 9am and stays about 2 hours till his poppa comes to get him. That way he is learning to be around other people and not just wanting me! Well he actually is kinda going through this phase where if I am around, he just wants me, (and selfishly I kinda love it) but he needs to learn that other people love him too. And that its okay to go to them! He is doing great though and tomorrow Ill post some pics of him at school playing and all. He even did that art work the other day that I posted, which I am so proud of! haha.

Well he just woke up from his nap so I gots to go get him. Cant let the little fella cry too long, cause it is just pitiful!!! Peas-

2 comments:

maaydaay said...

I am so glad you found me :) I feel ya Mindy, I worked at a shelter for abused/neglected children for about two years and it is so hard to understand how a mother could possibly just not be concerned with her childs welfare. But hang in there b/c it is so rewarding when you can bring a smile to a face of a little one :)

Jaime said...

You are such a great person Mindy! I really wrestled with whether or not to do pediatric nursing, and when it came down to it I realized that it would be too hard for me to see all that abuse and neglect. Those babies need a positive and healthy relationship with someone as wonderful as you. Just keep in mind that most of those parents probably never had a good role-model for parenting either. You have to help teach them too. You are making a difference, and I am so proud of you!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers