Sunday, January 27, 2008

Ear infections, fever virus, thrush, and daddy's wreck


What a way to start the new year eh? Sounds more like an entry you might see on web md. But nope, that would be the way Elem has started this year! Only one month into 2008 and we have already gone through an ear infection, which sucks, because the poor little dude is just in pain and cant get any sleep. Then once we got rid of that, I woke up at about 12:30am one night and Elem was burning up, he had a fever of like 102 degrees. I staid up with him for the rest of the night, until it peaked out at 104.4 degrees. At that point I took all of his clothes off and covered him with cold wet rags, got ice and stroked his hair with it, and just nursed him until it finally broke! He had the fever virus for about 4 days. It just continued to spike and then fall randomly, and just made him feel awful. I was seriously scared when it got so high, but his cousin Cecilia had the virus a few days before so I thought he might get it, even though he hadnt been around her at all for that very reason! Then Friday night, I was looking at Elem like, why oh why are you sooo fussy?? I know something is wrong, but you have no fever, no ear infection, you are not hungry, wet, or tired, what is it? And it just hit me, oh my gosh, that white stuff in his mouth is so not going away. It is permanent. He has thrush! Although I have seen it several times in my line of work, Seth and I immediatley got online to do some research to see if there was anything we could do. 
So for those of you who do not know what that is, it basically looks like cottage cheese on your babies' tongue and mouth. His is all over the tongue and on the roof of his mouth and tonsils and back of his throat. I am not sure how he got it, but he did! So I took him to the doctor on Saturday morning bright and early and got it confirmed. Poor dude just cant catch a break these days. He is now on some meds 4 times a day and hopefully it will begin to go away by tomorrow or so. I just hate that I have been breast feeding for all this time, with high hopes that he would be a healthier baby and get all the good stuff that he needed to start out on the right track. At this rate he will be quite a sickly child! Hopefully this is the end for a while. 
The only side effects of the thrush are just a really sore mouth, cranky baby, and no desire to eat. Or rather cant eat. The only thing I have found that he will eat at all is this stuff called Yo Baby yogurt, which I dont even like him eating yet cause it is made with whole milk.  Even though its organic its just too early for him to be eating whole milk. But its cold and he likes it, so for now I will continue to feed it to him.  
Besides kickin off 2008 with some major sicknesses, daddy was also in a huge wreck about 2 weeks ago! He was driving home from work when some guy driving a truck hit a white van, then the white van ran into Seth!  The car in front of Seth had come to a quick stop so it was slightly pulled off to where part of the car was on the shoulder, so when the van hit Seth, he hit the left side of the car in front of him, and caused his car to flip on the interstate. Amazingly enough Seth had his seat belt on and when the car landed on the hood, he took off his seat belt, dropped to the ground and climbed out the broken driver side window. Then of course he started throwing up cause he was so scared! But some how he made it out okay with just a few scratches and bruises, some bruised up ribs and chest muscles, and some major whip lash! 




We are just so thankful that he made it out okay and was not more seriously injured! I actually called him right when it happened and he had just crawled out of the car. We spent the night at the ER and he was okay by the end of the weekend! It was a super bad wreck and he totaled his car! So one our next big step is getting him a new car! Not sure what he will be getting since that one was totally paid off and all, but we will get him something here in the next month or so!

What a month huh? Crazy all the things that can happened to ya, guess we just need to be thankful for each and every day we have with each other! 

7 comments:

Karla said...

Hey Mindy!

Sorry to hear about Seth's wreck. Thank God he's okay. I hope things are going smoother at your house. Poor baby Elem. I hope he's doing better. Take care of everyone!

KB

Scott said...

Oh my goodness sista! That is quite a lot off stuff all before February of the new year! Things will start to look up, I can feel it! So glad Seth wasn't hurt too badly! Wrecks are no bueno! Hope Elem is staring to feel better! Hang in there Lou-Lou! Love you!

Kylie Williams said...

Holy crap! that's blog scared me just reading it! glad Seth is OK. BTW - lil man looks likes his daddy SO MUCH in that pic! when did he get so much hair?!?!

Kimberly said...

OMG, Mindy! You guys have had a rough start to the new year! I truly hope you guys will turn a corner and things will be better from here on out! I am impressed that you knew what to do through all that as well!

Brittney said...

Wow, what a scary story. So glad that Seth is okay! I am sure you were freaking out when you were on the phone with him! I love that picture of Elem...he looks different in it...like older now than he used to! Cute family...wish I could meet them one of these years!

Mittig family said...

That's quite a start to the New Year! Glad y'all made it through all that and now you've got all the bad stuff out of the way, right?? :)

Mindy said...

wow you guys are the best blog commenters ever! Thanks for all the sweet words! Everyone is doing great and Il try to update with a better more positive blog tonight! Love you all!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers