Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Eat This, Not That

Wow! Today Seth was showing me something that he found online-that I literally can not believe!!! Apparently on the Yahoo front page there was some article on this site called Eat This, Not That. Here is the link:

Eat This, Not That

Basically the article just tells you the top 20 worst fast food options you can get when you go out to eat. It tells you the name of the food, the name of the restaurant, how many calories, how many fat grams, carbohydrates, and then a slightly healthier alternative you can eat instead. For example, the page I linked above goes directly to the WORST KIDS MEAL you can get. Da.da.da.da:

Worst Kids' Meal
Macaroni Grill Double Macaroni 'n' Cheese
1,210 calories
62 g fat
3,450 mg sodium


It's like feeding your kid 1 1/2 boxes of Kraft mac 'n' cheese.

Yes, you read that correctly, 62 fat grams! I mean Can you imagine your kid eating that much fat at once?? No wonder kids get so sick when they come home after eating out. They are eating more fat than a grown man should be eating at one sitting!

Luckily, I am super picky so I am happy to say that I cant bring myself to eat half of the stuff on the list, but I sure do eat a few things on there. And I will NO longer be getting an awesome blossom from anywhere! It really makes you think how much groseness you can put in your body in like less than an hour! I just can not believe it!

I know people think I have been a real stickler on what we feed Elem-we dont give him any sweets, or much greasy food at all-pretty much just noodles, grilled chicken, turkey, bread, and potatoes. But its things like this very article that have made me that way! We want to give Elem the healthiest start possible, and not fill his little body with calories and fat that he doesnt even need, and with foods he has no idea he would ever love! Like cake and what not. I know it is a little overbearing, and yes we will allow him to have candy and sweets-someday-I think. haha! But I will be watching very closely what we put in his mouth as well as our own! Read all 20 categories on the left side of the page once you click on the link. You will be amazed at what exactly you might be consuming!

No comments:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers