Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hog Season is here!


I am thrilled to announce that as of 2 weekends ago, Razorback Football season has begun! For all us Arkansans-thats about as exciting as any pro team suit-in' up to play! One thing all Arkansan's have in common-the Razorbacks. Always have, and always will. (we wont count those weirdos from Louisiana that have somehow ended up on this side of the state line by accident, and are still pullin for those LSU losers-I mean tigers. Whatever they are. :) And my family and friends couldn't be more ready! With every new season, comes 2 much anticipated Razorback games played here in Little Rock at War Memorial Stadium. And along with the game, comes much much tailgating! This time last year, I had a 4 month old baby who wasnt too keen on straying too far from the boob, so I staid home during the games, but this year we were ready to go and ready to have a blast!

We headed out to War Memorial to find our friends Troy and Tommy who always have the BEST spot. Before actually getting to the golf course-which is where everyone tailgates, we spent a good 15 minutes or more driving around with a much annoyed 16 month old trying to find some place to park. Finally we made a quick trip to the ATM, grabbed a little cash and just paid for a parking spot. Much more with it than driving till you find that perfect free spot. Time was ticking for Elem so we needed to make good use of the time we did have! ha!

As soon as we got to the tent, several of our friends were already there! We grabbed some drinks, some good food, listened to some music, and mainly talked about how excited we were about the game! Oh, and then the most obvious, chased Elem Zane around everywhere he wanted to go, and tried to keep him busy busy to ensure a longer stay and a much anticipated long afternoon nap after we left!

What better way to begin a tailgating party, than....Baggo! A game we have somewhat obsessed with, and I must add are really good at! Go me. :) Elem always knows whats up on the baggo-any time any place. He is the man.


Sometimes they let me play. If there are not enough boys around. (I mean I bought the thing!) Although Elem was running away from me here. He needs me.


After a little baggo, Daddy trying to persuade with a little football excitement.


Under the tent is where all the cool kids were hanging out. And trying to keep our babies cool! Those who tended to stray are below. hahaha! Neh, the daddies did good. Below is Seth, Tommy, Spoon, and Paul.


Me and Ali. Showin our Razorback spirit like we should be!


Chattin away and takin up some much needed chairs-Elem and Cecilia-


But just look at those faces-who in the world would make them get up. (Not to mention if they did I would have told them to move aside and give my child back the big red chair he so desparately wanted.

I mean they ARE all Razorback Red-ed out. :)


We did end up staying from about noon till 4:30 or so, which if I do say so myself is quite an accomplishment with a 16 month old, who is still suffering from chronic diarrhea (if you will). Dont think we made it through the day home free either-3 diapers were changed during the tailgating, and it wasnt pleasant! haha. But after a few more minutes of play time with the boys....


Checkin out the band with grammy and poppa...this was totally a highlight of the day for the kids-they loved it! (oh and every boy who walked by Elem that was in the pep band, was all like..try out for band, pick band. uhm..maybe not. :( Mommy is hoping for a football or basketball star! ha! But whatever makes him happy. :):):)


Seth and I actually got some alone time (well if you call it that!) while the kids were watching the pep band. I wuv you daddy.We had such a fun day!


Finally the day came to an end for the Shelby family! If you can tell, someone in the middle is quite the tired little man!


It was such a fun day, and I forgot how much I missed out on last year! Of course spending time with Elem last year was so way more important that tailgating, but it is such a great and happy time! And simply a tradition in hog land! We wouldnt have missed it for the world. And wouldnt have let Elem miss it for anything! It is great to have him out there supporting those hogs before he even knows what the hogs are! We tried throughout the day to get him to say Go hogs! And he did say something, although I dont think it was recognizable to anyone but me and Seth! So here we are, raisin a future Razorback. :) Lovin life, and happy to be in such a great place to raise our child.

5 comments:

Brittney said...

Hey Mindy...cute pictures! I am so jealous...it has been years since we got to tailgate for the HOGS. Do you remember the game we went to in LR and tailgated in Big Sean's Excursion??? That was lots of fun!

You are good to remember...I am impressed. My birthday is the 26th!

Mindy said...

okay nice! I needed to know the date. It has been a while since we celebrated your birthday togther. :) And yes I totally remember tailgating in Seans excursion. I was actually thinking of you when I wrote that post. Rmember that one CD of rap songs we played over and over again that day we were tailgating. haha. Good old days.

becky said...

you sure have strayed away from your memphis tigers roots. i am glad that ya'll had fun. love you

Brittney said...

I wish we could celebrate birthdays together. does anyone get how important they are except me and you?? Remember your hawaian themed birthday at Seth's house...and I had my Seth steal that street sign for you????? That was a good birthday!

Mindy said...

haha so funny that you would mention that because I was totally thinking of the hawaian themed birthday already when I mentioned your birthday! I am going to have to get a scanner and upload some of our old pics and add them to a now and then kind of blog! I am on it! Love you B! Oh and I wonder what happened to that street sign? What did it say? I forgot?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers