Thursday, January 15, 2009

Happy New Year

With the Christmas season coming to a close, Seth and I were really excited about celebrating New Years out with our friends this year. Last year since it was our first New Year's with Elem, we decided to stay in and not do too much, but the grandparents offered to babysit and have a little sleepover with Elem and Cecilia, so we took full advantage. Not too often that we get to get all dressed up and head over to hang out till all hours of the night. Now in honor of the upcoming holiday I wanted to make sure nothing went wrong, like any of us getting sick and what not. But the inevitable happened, and Elem Zane got an ear infection about 3 days before. His Poppa took him to the doctor for me so I wouldnt miss any work, and they checked him out, found that he had ANOTHER ear infection, and got him on some meds right away. We were so lucky to catch this one super fast, seeing as he just got off of antibiotics for another ear infection 4 days earlier. Luckily, he was feeling pretty good by Wednesday and we were still good to go. The plan was to meet up with Ali and Dustin at there house for dinner and then drop the kids off around 7 or 8pm just in time to get them in bed, so the grandparents wouldnt have to do to much. And that is just what we did. We headed over to some of our great friends Karla and Troys house for some food, poker, and lots of New Years celebrating.

All dressed up and ready to party. I love this man. He loves me even though I spent numerous time trying to find something to wear, and he helped me decide.

Some of my best girls!!! All in one place at one time. Very rare to get all of us together with kiddos. Left to right-Mandi, Ali, Karla, Me, Leslie F.)

Some of the boys, from left to right-Dustin, Chad, Spoon, Seth, Tommy-and the birthday boy right in front-Troy!

Me and the best sis in law ever-celebrating 2009!


We had so much fun hanging out with some of our dearest friends. Although I didnt do my best in poker, I did hang with the boys at the table the whole night. Seth did pretty good, and at least he made it home with a little bit of money in his pocket. :) I did my best so thats what counts. The rest of the night I chilled with my girls. Just catching up on some gossip, and how all of our kids are. Actually the only ones with kids are myself, Ali, and Leslie, but still it was a great time to share some stories with the others. Before we knew it, it was already 3:30am, and trust me we NEVER stay out or even up that late, so we decided to head on home-by cab of course.

With the new year here, I am reminded how quickly 2008 has flown by. It seems almost in an instant that my little baby has grown into a little boy. It was quicker than I could have ever imagined and I still am somewhat in shock of actually how fast they grow up. Its seem like a few ago that Seth and I got married but it has already been about 8 months! Crazy. Another year of lots of work, lots of laughing, and lots of loving in the Shelby household. And with any luck we hope to keep it up and have an even better 2009. In regards to New Years resolutions, I am not usually one to keep up with those, so I have decided to jot down a few small ones that I would like to keep:

1. Read to Elem every single night. This is pretty much already a routine for our family, but I do catch myself slacking off every once in a while. So that is one thing I would like to commit to going forward. It is so great to read to your kids, and expose them to more each day, and not to mention the best bonding time ever-just relaxing, holding your baby and spending a few quiet moments together.
2. I want to read more! I just got started reading the past few weeks and my goal is to read at least one book a month, if not more! I know I can do this. :) I never seem to make time for things like this, so this is a must.
3. Take more time for family, and less time for work. I tend to be a work a holic-always have been, and Im sure I always will be. But every day when I get home , bringing all the stresses a normal day of working at a homeless shelter can bring, it takes me a while to disconnect from work and reconnect to family. So I am making a resolution to leave work at work -the best I can, and to commit totally to my family while I am at home. (I know there will be a few nights I have to work, but for the most part-I want to spend that time with my family)

Okay those seem simple enough. I think I can maintain those. Happy New Year everybody!

2 comments:

becky said...

You look really beautiful as usual. I love that blue shirt.

Scott said...

Happy New Year Lou-Lou! So glad you and Sethy poo got to party into the wee hours of the night. Time really does fly by so fast these days! Elem is such a handsome little man and Aidan is going to crawl any day now! We need to get our old school girls together soon. Let's chat next week, okay! Love you!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers