Sunday, September 27, 2009

"I do not wear diap-ees no more!"

So long. Farewell. Auf Wiedersehen. Good night......


I am happy to report that as of the beginning of August Elem has pretty much been diaper free-and clothes free, but we will get to that in a minute. (For all of you who think I have a "naked" child, you have no idea) hehe. So, throughout the day Elem has been accident free about 90% of the time. Here and there he has a random accident, but those are usually during nap time or when he is angry and throwing a fit, only to pee on purpose. Those are my least favorite accidents. . We will tackle the whole night time potty training hopefully by Christmas time. Honestly, it has been super easy to potty train Elem, considering his tend to be hard headed when it comes to things he doesn't really understand why he has to do them. So about 2 years and 3 months we were happy feet and diaper free!

Potty Training in a nutshell for us:
1. We started off about 15 or 16 months trying to potty train, if I remember correctly. I figured the earlier, the better.
2. We did not force him to go to the potty, but just kept trying and offering the potty each and every time possible, in case it sparked an interest.
3. Each time Elem would step into the bath tub, he would be about 5 seconds later, so every time I would pull him out of the tub, and place him in front of the potty, and it would just happen.
4. That is how he got the idea of what was expected and it pretty much blossomed from there.
5. Lots and lots of praise-along with some candy treats for pottying.
6. Lots of going potty together (with mommy every chance we got, and with daddy every chance he got)
7. And we pretty much only encouraged pottying standing up! Too hard to relearn after you have been taught another way.
8. Bought the underwear and made a HUGE deal about it. Tried it out, and the rest is history.
9. I offered Elem to go to the potty about every 30 minutes and took note of each time he drank something. Not long after I made him go to the potty.
10. In order to get another juice cup, he had to go potty.
11. Just kept telling him he was too big to wear diapees!

Now, if we even TRY to put a diaper on him, we get the response: "No! I do not wear diapees no more! I too big to wear diapees."

Wahoo! So long, farewell diapers, during the daytime anyways, we will not miss you one bit! Or how much money we spent on you.

3 comments:

Brittney said...

Yeah Elem...that seems pretty early for a boy! I am so proud of him. Good luck on the night thing. we are still working on that and Jillian has been trained for almost a year. It is HARD!!!!

Mindy said...

yikes! yeah I have a friend whose little boy just got trained during the night and he was 4 and 1/2! I am not feeling that one.

becky said...

I am so proud of him!! I am also jealous that you will not be spending a ton of money on diapers:)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers