Tuesday, February 2, 2010

If at first you don't succeed...

Try, try, again.

Man do I try to say these words, not exactly in that saying-since it is a little dated. :) But in so many words, if you don't succeed, you do need to try until you figure out a way you can do it. Be it putting on your cloths, putting on your shoes, trying to reach a light switch, writing your name, or even just trying to get something out of the pantry-sometimes you just have to give it a good ole 5 or 6 tries till you figure out how to do it. I have tried many approaches, giving encouragement, threatening with time out :), showing by example, offering some help, and just staying silent, it seems that they all seem to have their own affect on different circumstances. I still never really know which one is the best fit for Elem for each and every little thing he is trying to accomplish on his own. All I can do is my best, even though at times, my best seems to get me frustrated, and him in a major fit!

It seems every day, and every few minutes for that matter, that these toddler 2's are not only showing the blessing of some serious time for tantrums around our house, but they are also a time for wanting to do things all by yourself. I have mentioned it before, but it is that ever growing sense of, you can do it, why can't I. That as grown ups we still seem to carry around. Naturally I expect my toddler to have the same feelings, and even more so, sense of "want to" and have to" beeming from his every bit of existence! Basically, it happens one of 2 ways: 1. You try and you don't succeed which results in the tantrum sort of answer. Suggesting a feeling of frustration and can't do attitude. Nobody likes this one. 2. You try, and don't succeed, but keep on trying until you figure out a way you can succeed. These are the ones we all like to see. Even if they are a little bit funny, and sometimes crazy!

Those that ring a bell, I see about every day, trying to get that left arm out of the sleeve of the shirt -this one is a pain!!! And usually leads to some screaming, but never wanting you to touch him or help, because he can do it! Or trying to get his shoes on by himself-even though he has the biggest feet in the world, that do not fit easily into any shoe. These are just a couple of examples that you are doomed if you help and doomed if you don't! So, it is almost better just to let it happen and allow him to work things out himself, unless you can make it into a game of some sort-that seems to help a little bit. But the kind like the pics below, are the ones I LOVE!

Elem has been saying some clever things to keep himself up at night, like

"I need sumpthin out of the pantwy". " I'll be right back, mom"

Only for me to find this:




Guess he figured out one way or another to get to those Hershey's Kisses. Oh well, he worked so hard to get them, I couldn't possibly tell him know, but just tell him to hold on so I could grab the camera!

2 comments:

aWare said...

What a cute boy and so smart!

aWare said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers